Wilderness Construction Company (WCC) has been a licensed general contractor in Colorado since 1977. We have performed work for all types of building project clients, including the City and County of Denver, Denver International Airport and Denver Public Schools. We believe our experience working with the various city agencies and our reputation for quality workmanship makes us an excellent choice for your upcoming projects.
Extensive K-12 education experience: WCC is a leader in the construction of K-12 schools, both new and renovation, with such clients as Denver Public Schools, Adams 12 Five Star Schools and Aurora Public Schools.
Quality: WCC continuously strives to improve our processes and techniques to achieve high quality on our projects. To accomplish these goals, the on-site superintendent is responsible for quality control and works with the project manager to ensure conformation to the contract. All areas are monitored for quality control by the general contractor as well as subcontractor personnel responsible for quality control. We only work with subcontractors we know will consistently produce quality work.
Safety: All of our employees are familiar with and follow our written safety policy. Our staff keeps current on safety requirements and issues through a variety of safety seminars. Our subcontractors are required to have a written safety programs and to participate in job safety meetings conducted by our on-site project superintendent. WCC has an exemplary record of job safety on our projects with an EMR of .84.
Cost and schedule control: Our estimators, project managers and superintendents develop a management system for each project well before a project transitions to construction. This management system maximizes workflow efficiency and establishes cost and schedule control for the project duration. In the field, superintendents create a cooperative team environment with clear direction for specialty contractor involvement and deadlines. The result for our clients is on-time, on-budget completion.
A dedicated team: The WCC family has played its part in building the modern Denver metro area over the past four decades.
- Thomas Ochs, president of the company, brings over 30 years of experience to the team, and is a Class B Superintendent with the City and County of Denver. He started with Wilderness Construction as a journeyman carpenter, foreman, and superintendent. Tom manages scheduling, subcontractor awards, building permitting, overall coordination, estimating, value engineering, and ordering long-lead items.
- Christopher Ochs, corporation secretary and project superintendent, has more than 30 years of construction industry experience. His more than 19 years with Wilderness construction include experience as a journeyman carpenter, site foreman, and superintendent. Christopher manages construction projects as project superintendent, handling on-site management and coordination, value engineering, coordinating with project managers, and tracking long-lead item orders.
- Tyler Ochs, project superintendant, has worked in construction for over 10 years, experience as a journeyman carpenter, site foreman, and superintendent. He has an educational background which includes an associate’s degree in construction management. As a project superintendent, Tyler manages projects in the field, performing on-site coordination, value engineering, working with project managers, and tracking long-lead item orders..
- Roland Ochs, consultant, has worked in the construction field for over 65 years. He started Wilderness Construction in 1977. Roland began as a journeyman carpenter, and has also worked in the field as a foreman and superintendent. He holds a Class A superintendent’s license with the City and County of Denver.
- Cindy Billips, administrative assistant, started at Wilderness Construction in 2017, and handles submittals, RFI, covers the phones, and provides administrative support to the team.
- Sherry Stanton, accountant, is the “new kid on the block”. Sherry started at Wilderness Construction in 2019, and handles accounting and certified payroll.